Suffolk Pets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for Pet Owners from Suffolk and across the country. From lost, stolen, missing pets and pets needing new homes to chatting about pets and their needs.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fleas anyone????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kells3101

kells3101

Fleas anyone???? Empty
PostSubject: Fleas anyone????   Fleas anyone???? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:06 am

Just wondering if any of the multi pet owners here have issues with fleas .... and / or if they are finding a resistance to Frontline / Frontline Combo ???

Ive had an issue with 2 of the dogs for over a year now, and newest pup, Mitch also seems ultra susseptable to them. Also 1 of the cats .... all the other dogs and cats are fine.

I treat the dogs weith a flea shampoo, wait 48 hours, and apply frontline combo .... this is done once a month ... ( guidelines say 6 weeks, but i do it 4 weekly on advice from my vet ).

In between times, i comb through and remove anything i find ....

I have had the house fumigated 4 times by Rent o Kill, using different treatments ... we removed all the carpets, and have no skirting boards ....

My vet insists there is no known / documented resistance to the product if used correctly ... but also agrees i am using it correctly and therefore should not have an issue .... the cycle should have been broken after a max of 3 months ( allowing for a full life cycle of adult > egg > larvae > pupae > hatch > .... but this is now into the 9th month. He is also at a loss as to why 2 of the dogs and 2 of the cats are completely unaffected!.... as an extra precaution we also treated all the little critters with suitable stuff too ....

I have MANY friends who are having issues too..... but non of our vets seem to be able to shed any light on it or offer us a better product .... atm, frontline tratments are setting me back £120 per month ... and NOT working ... I need something that works and / or is more cost effective.
All the pets also have a garlic supliment added to their food which should help, and i coat their furminater comb in tea tree as well ....

Any other suggestions / imput???
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin
Jo

Fleas anyone???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas anyone????   Fleas anyone???? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:31 am

Hi Kells,

This was discussed fairly recently on the Suffolk pets FB page, this is how the convo went...

Could anybody tell me if they have used either
Effipro or Fiprospot flea treatment as dont want to use frontline combo no more as it dont work :-(

Do not waste your money on frontline, it doesnt work anymore!!! I have used Eppifro, it seemed to work, but usually I buy advantage from online site, its only £9.99 for a pack of 4 and it does definitely work

Yes im fed up of using frontline, have used it for years and its just gone a waste of money for the amount of animals i have, 7 cats 2 dogs and lots of chickens lol.

they have changed the ingrediaents in it, must have weakened it!!

Try Advocate, Frontline are bringing out a new one which has new 'Ingredient' goin to talk on it soon via my vets, ill let u kno wot i think =]

try stronghold

I use stronghold for all my lot now - works brilliantly even my cat with a severe flea allergy has been scab free for months now!!

advocate and stroghold also great, but prescription only

This is true but if u have any problems they can sort it out and it is done by the size of ur animal Smile x

My vet (who I really like) has told me not to bother with Frontline any more and use Advocate.

Thanks guys just read this feed, I use front line on my boys but think I might be changing!!! Thankyou for saving me the task of flea powdering the house Smile x

My vet recommended Advantage. Really cheap flea/worm treatments available online at www.PetDrugsOnline.co.uk

Obviously this is only the opinion of these ladies but thought you may like a read!
Back to top Go down
https://suffolkpets.forumotion.co.uk
kells3101

kells3101

Fleas anyone???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas anyone????   Fleas anyone???? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 am

Thanks hun - I do really appreciate opinions / imput of anyone else .... I am trying to make an informed choice ... but was mainly curious abouut what anyone else thought, as my vet insists there is NO resistance ....

Stronhold was recommended to me by several people, but it is perscription only, and my vet when I spoke with him this week, did not want to fix me up with a script I could use online .....

Please everyone ... keep on chipping in .... dogs and cats were re front lined 2 days ago, so I have 4 - 6 weeks to gather info and opinion and decide what to do when they are next due! Smile
Back to top Go down
Husky26

Fleas anyone???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas anyone????   Fleas anyone???? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 am

Fleas can easily get immune to anything we try to use on them! I bought a bottle of flea spray from my vets that can be used on both cats and dogs and I haven't seen a single flea on any of them other than when tiger went missing for 2 weeks and came back covered in ticks and fleas. One spray over him and they were all gone by next day! I wl have to find it and let u know what it's called.x
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin
Jo

Fleas anyone???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas anyone????   Fleas anyone???? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 am

Oh the spray sounds good. I'd be interested in knowing which one that is too! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://suffolkpets.forumotion.co.uk
Husky26

Fleas anyone???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas anyone????   Fleas anyone???? EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:27 am

I will find it tomo. Need to do all mine soon anyway! Lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fleas anyone???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas anyone????   Fleas anyone???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Fleas anyone????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suffolk Pets :: Advice :: Ask for Advice-
Jump to: