A forum for Pet Owners from Suffolk and across the country. From lost, stolen, missing pets and pets needing new homes to chatting about pets and their needs.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Small Rant - animal related!!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kells3101

PostSubject: Small Rant - animal related!!!   Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 am

OK, so I belong to several animal and breed specific groups and sites ,... as do many of us I would guess ...

Anyhow a couple of days ago, there was someone on a lab site saying she was concerned as her (future gundog) lab puppy was a nightmare around the pet bunny ... and would she be able to keep them both etc etc or would she have to have eyes up her ass to protect bunny at all times ....

There were a lot of posts from other members offering support, advice and annecdotes etc - including me, stating that all my labs are gundogs and completely 100% trust worthy around our G-Ps, hamsters etc - having been trained from a young age as to what is and isnt quarry - and we have trained them to not touch live animals without command ... we also have hens, free range in our yard, and both the labs and terriers ignore them ( DID state terriers cant be trusted with GPs as they are used for vermin control on our family farm )

Anyhow, while baking in the kitchen earlier, I looked out the door, and noticed a lab and a terrier curled up in one of the many dog beds outside, with a chicken less than 6 inches away dust bathing next to them .....

I shared the picture on my normal FB page to show friends how sweet they are, and how with the right training and patience, lots can be achieved .....

I have been contacted my a * friend * of 25 years ( who I might add, sole pet is a cat - NEVER owed another animal) .... who is ... and I quote

" appalled by the conditions those animals are subjected to playing and resting in" ... she then also PMd e to say I dont deserve my animals and obv. have too many to care for etc etc .....

Her ONLY reason for all this, is simply - the area of the yard the animals all chose to congregate in this morning, is the area we are currently landscaping - so the surface has been removed, its all a big un even dirt, loosly covered in some shingle we pushed over from the drive way ..... The dog bed in the picture is a plastic oval one, with cushions in it .... which actually was only out there to air .... and they all decided to lay in it .....

I am LIVID that someone I have known for so long, who should know me well ..... has PUBLICALLY slammed me, without any thought as to what she is saying, or why ...... she doesnt have her facts straight on the appalling conditions .... I am fully aware that the yard is not pretty yet - it doesnt have to be .... it is big enough for them, it is safe and secure .... they have free run of all the garden, they have ( for fecks sake ) a HEATED outdoor kennel in my husbands workshop, should they choose to use it!..... there is ALWAYS fresh water - theres 3 buckets in the yard, a pond ( one of them prefers pond to tap!)... plus there are 3 water bowls inside as well!.... no food left out, as mine are fed once a day, not grazers ....
they have countless number of toys and stimuli .... they are walked at 6 am every morning by hubby ..... they get a lunchtime run if I am here, they get a 4pm run with the kids ... and weather / light permitting, they also get an after dinner stroll with hubby and i from March through to about October ......
I spend more on animal feed, insurance, and extras than I do on my own upkeep ( including my portion of the weekly food shop)

I agree that the picture I shared doesnt show a great garden .... but I dont see that it deserves me being ripped apart publically as a doisgrace to keeping animals .... who should have them all removed from me ....
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Small Rant - animal related!!!   Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 am

Flippin heck Kells...that's awful!!

I can't believe that someone you consider a friend could do that to you and as you say so publicly. Did you reply to her PM?
Back to top Go down
http://suffolkpets.forumotion.co.uk
SabJones

PostSubject: Re: Small Rant - animal related!!!   Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:37 am

I can't believe someone said that, espically someone who you thought was a friend.

I would say any animal would love to live in your house, I know my dog Scrappy would.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gsprescue.co.uk
kells3101

PostSubject: Re: Small Rant - animal related!!!   Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:07 am

OK, so ... I am going to share the photo with you here, and feel free to give your opinion - giving me your opinion doesnt offend me - being a big know it all Does!....

Photo was posted with the message :

A Labrador...trained as a gundog... A terrier ( vermin control in the making ...) and a couple of our hens... All living and playing together in harmony Smile.... And proof of decent training working...

Everyone on my FB - whether they be real life friends, old school mates or online friends through forums etc - ALL know, that we recently brought this Farm House ... and are slowely renovating it and converting it - including the garden - which was essentially an actual Farm yard!... cows and all up to a few years ago!....

Her issue was that my garden was in appalling state - being Mud, dirt, gravel ...... and looked like * something you see on them really bad RSPCA shows where they seizre the poor animals * .....

Even after I explained - within 30 seconds of her post, that the garden was being lowered in preperation to it being landscaped - she still thinks I am wrong to have the dogs out there ....
Not once has she queried why theres a pick axe out ( hubby was using it, stepped away out of shot ) ... which is the only thing truely in the picture that should raise any alarms!?..... Or am i totally blind and have missed something?... or am I so used to these conditions that I dont see an issue?

Please do be honest with me .... but also please do bare in mind my explanation of the circumstances ....

Back to top Go down
SabJones

PostSubject: Re: Small Rant - animal related!!!   Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:41 am

To my eyes it looks like an area being worked on and the animals have made them selves at home which is something they all do.

They don't look unhappy, unhealthy, just well loved pets who run the house.

Sab x
Back to top Go down
kells3101

PostSubject: Re: Small Rant - animal related!!!   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks Sabrina ....

I know the garden isnt ideal - but it is a farm yard, LOL, and it copes with 5 dogs plus the rest of the animals - its never gonna be worthy of the chelsea flower show!...
once it is lowered it is gonna be shingled for low maintenance while we work on the house over summer - need to get a few jobs done before the winter hits again - like replacing a door and wondow, and some electrics in part of the house ....
then once we have time and the top priority jobs are taken care of, we will be making patio areas, and raised borders and so on ... it will look nice, but it will be practicl ....

Jo ( the so called friend ) has PMd me and said she thinks the RSPCA should check the conditions my animals are being subjected to... so I fully expect them to turn up this week .....
Back to top Go down
SabJones

PostSubject: Re: Small Rant - animal related!!!   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:11 pm

You have nothing to worry about if the RSPCA do turn up, they will see that your animals are all healthy and as soon as you explain the work being done they will go away.

keep us posted and if I can help in anyway let me know.

Sab
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Small Rant - animal related!!!   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:45 pm

I have to say looking at the photo and reading all you've said Kells, I am full of mixed emotions.

I look at the photo and see a gorgeous Lab taking an interest in what's going on, Terrier taking an interest in a chicken having a dust bath and a garden that is a work in progress (because you have told me so and it looks that way with the bucket of rubble and pickaxe in the shot). The ONLY thing I think someone may misconstrued from the photo is that there is a dogs bed out there and they may think this is where the dogs live?!

Kells, on the most part I feel so angry for you that someone you have thought of as a friend and have know for so many years can be so harsh and judgemental. We all want to make sure animals are cared for and that they don't get ill treated but surely this woman knows you better than to think you would do so! I also feel very hurt for you, to have someone query your integrity...I mean I can understand someone misunderstanding the situation if they had never met or heard of you and just saw the picture without any knowledge of the history of it. But you seem to me to be a very decent, honest hard working woman. Who's main priorities are her family and home including all pets.

If she does call the RSPCA out, as Sab said, I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about. Oh and when you message her back after their visit be sure to tell her that while she wasted their time getting them to come and check on some healthy, happy pets. There were some unloved and uncared for ones that may have well lost their lives!!

I really hope she has a good hard think about what she has said and apologises to you x
Back to top Go down
http://suffolkpets.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small Rant - animal related!!!   

Back to top Go down

Small Rant - animal related!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suffolk Pets :: Chat :: Animal Chat-
Jump to: