A forum for Pet Owners from Suffolk and across the country. From lost, stolen, missing pets and pets needing new homes to chatting about pets and their needs.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Owning more than one dog

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Owning more than one dog   Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm seriously considering getting another dog. I already have a Collie bitch and I'm going to look at a Collie cross dog today. My girl loves other dogs and I feel she would love a K9 friend but I'm worried it my backfire. What if she gets jealous or if he tries to dominate her. I'm also worried about the extra work load for me as I have all my other animals and my family to look after. My head thinks it shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's not like going from no dog to two dogs iykwim! But is the reality such? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated x
Back to top Go down
http://suffolkpets.forumotion.co.uk
SabJones

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 am

Hi,

We found that when we got Scrappy we didn't have as much time to train him away from Scooby. Scooby was very protective of him, Scooby also stayed as top dog till we lost him.

The one thing I would advise is make sure any new dog has time alone from your current Collie, to help reduce SA.
If you go for rescue make sure the two dogs meet on neutral territory and both walk into the house at the same time.

I would really like to get a 2nd dog too, we are waiting till are situation is more stable financially even though I would jump at a chance to get a pup or rescue boxer.

Sab
Back to top Go down
http://www.gsprescue.co.uk
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks for your advice Sab. I have to admit I didn't get to read it til late last night but you are spot on!

I don't know if you'd seen him, but there was a Collie cross Kelpie doing the rounds on the facebook rehoming and for sale sites. He had THE most adorable expression and at first I just thought 'ahhh, lovely boy' but then I saw him again and again and had to ask more about him. Long story short he had been ill treated (hit) by a previous owner and a young lady had managed to get him away from that but couldn't afford to keep him. I'm a little sceptical about the exact truth but that is what got us to where we were yesterday.

I arranged to go see him yesterday and drove the hour and a half to get there with my dog and my three kids. I suggested going in to the house as though I was a friend visiting and pay little attention to the dog 'Max' as I was told he we would bark. Then we would leave the house first and get my little man in his pushchair and get Misty out of the car and on her lead. I would then wait for Max to come out on the lead and we would join him on a walk. I did it like this because I was told he growls at other dogs when he's on the lead and I wanted his and Misty's first meeting to be a positive one. So we walked for about half an hour before letting them get close. It made me laugh because when we finally stopped and allowed them to sniff each other, they were more interested in what was going on around them rather finally getting to meet. We took them on the beach and let them off the lead for a good old romp round together before heading back. After another chat outside his house I went away with my lot for a chat and to phone and update my OH.

I have to say I struggled to come to a decision. Part of me just wanted to get him away from where he was and build him up - ahh I haven't mentioned the fact that he is also skin over bone too Crying or Very sad I was also very drawn to him - we had a connection. Then there was the other part of me that was worried about my dog and how this would affect her and the extra work for me and generally not knowing the background of the dog that I'm thinking of introducing to my family. So after much contemplation and a chat with my OH, who said it was my decision as he couldn't make the decision for me, I decided that we could just go home and go back to our comfy routine or we could take a chance on this boy and find a new routine that would be enriched by having two dogs in our lives. So yes, you guessed it..we got him. An hour and a half later we arrived home with our two dogs and and after getting the kids in the house and preparing it for him to come in (I wasn't expecting to bring him home that day) I brought both the dogs in together and got him straight on his bed. I gradually introduced him to the rest of his new home and then let him out in his new garden, where he ran around like an absolute loony, taking a keen interest in the chickens and rabbits!

We've spent a lot of time training as he quite clearly has had very little. Took him on walk today and came back with a sore hand from his pulling on the lead, but he is responding well to training and by the time we got home he was pulling a lot less. Then I gave him a wash as he absolutely stank and we couldn't spend another evening in that stench. He is the most loving boy. He is outgoing yet insecure and we have really bonded with him. How anyone can mistreat animals is beyond me especially when they are so trusting.

I'm so glad I took a chance on Max I love you
Back to top Go down
Toffeecrisp

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 am

Really really pleased you decided to take on another dog.... I love having 2 dogs but would love to have 3 again!
You must go with your gut feeling on things like this and it sounds as if Max has fallen on his feet coming to live with you.....enjoy him xxx
Back to top Go down
SabJones

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:57 am

I'm glad you took Max on, you did everything right with him and I'm sure he will be wonderful for you.

I will keep you updated on our situation, last night was the 1st night we had Scrappy out of the crate in the bedroom since August.

It was such a long night, I got woken up 6 times and OH 4 times. All Scrappy wanted was extra cuddles but we will get there.

I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of your two together.
Back to top Go down
kells3101

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 am

I realise that input is defunct as you got your dog ( yay you! ) .. but thought I would chime in anyhow Smile ....

I always have a minimum of 3 dogs .... not sure why, that just seems to be the way it works! ....
We aquire new dogs, sometimes by design ( new gun dog to train to replace a retiring one ) sometimes by accident .... but we tend to only aquire them at decent intervals - minimum 2 years apart, so that gives us plenty of time to train and focus on th new arrival, before another joins the family.

I will point out at this stage - our retired animals stay with us til rainbow bridge ... we dont rehome them .... with the exception of a young terrier 8 years ago that killed one of my cats then a week later went for my baby ..... we rehomed her with relatives, and still have a lot of imput with her.

We got our latest arrival, Mitch 3 weeks ago, he is my sons first dog .... we had no intention of getting a dog - we went to view a bitch, but Wills fell in love with the rowdiest pup there ... so we brought him home ... LOL
so far so good ... just the normal toilet training issues and trying to teach him the manners we abide by in this house ... otherwise all good Smile .... all my older dogs are really tolerant of others ( probably in part to being actove working dogs ) .... and many of our friends pop in with theirs .. and we pet sit for friends as well .... If ever, any of mine decided that having other dogs in and out wasnt acceptable, or new comers .... then I would respect that.

By staggering the intake we have, we tend to avoid problems like not having enough time to train /. teach etc .... and with 5 of us in the household, theres plenty of love and fuss to go round .... as well as the fact hubby often takes a dog or 2 with him for the day depending on where he is working Smile
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Sab - How is Scrappy now? I will post a pic of mine but I thought I'd create a new category for photo's of pets and make it a member only to view, post etc. as I don't personally like the fact that anyone can snoop around photo's.

Kells - thanks for your input anyway. It's all very valuable as there may also be others who come across this in the future too.
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Oh and also a big thank you to Helen (toffeecrisp) as your few words the night before helped me with my decision x
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:36 am

Took my boy to the vets for a health check today and found he is microchipped! Now waiting to find out if we are able to keep him. The vets are trying to make contact with the registered owner. pale
Had this with my previous rescue but found out fairly quickly. Not sure how long they will be trying for this time though. I guess if he's not been registered as lost or stolen then that's good for us, just worried the person may say "that's my dog, I want it back" and then try selling him or something!! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Toffeecrisp

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:42 am

Oh god Jo that's a worry!!!
Hopefully they will be able to trace the chip for you quickly so you don't have to wait too long
Back to top Go down
kells3101

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:27 am

Oh No!

If the dog was initially a stray or something, then he should have been scanned when found ...
it could be that the chip info is incorrect or outdated.. and origional owners were never traced ....

or another possibility, is that some people are too lazy ( and tight ) to pay the small fee ( £15 ish i think ) to re register ownership / change of address details .... so the dog may have changed hands legitimately many times but still have the breeders or first owners details on chip ....

I hope for your sake everything works out OK for you and him x
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks Helen and Kells.

I'm taking it as a positive sign that they didn't say he was registered lost or stolen so maybe it's the breeders details on petlog....? They did say they were trying to speak to the lady to see if they can find out his history but who knows what can of worms this may open!!

Oh well, fingers crossed for a happy outcome. Will let you know when I find out more Neutral
Back to top Go down
Toffeecrisp

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 am

Have you heard anything yet Jo?
Back to top Go down
Jo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:31 pm

No Helen, nothing more. I'm going to phone pet log and transfer him into my name this week.
Back to top Go down
SabJones

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:16 am

Hi,

Scrappy update time: -

He is still creeping onto the bed but it seems to be when he is cold, some nights its not till 4am so we are taking that as a good sign. He has a duvet on him when he goes to bed but gets hot so comes out from underneath and then decides he can't get back under it and it would be easier to crawl in beside me....

We had a slight hiccup with the noise during the day, we were going through a stage where he didn't wear his thundershirt everyday. i was having a bad morning at work and I got a message from our neighbour to say that Scrappy had been howling for quite a while, i of course said sorry explained about thundershirt. Text the lady who lets him out at lunch time and asked her to nip round and put it on him. within 5 mins of me texting our neighbour back to say thundershirt was being put on she text me to say he was quiet.... since then he's been ok - yes thundershirt on everyday at the moment.

Jo, I hope you hear something soon re microchipping.

Sab x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Owning more than one dog   

Back to top Go down

Owning more than one dog
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Suffolk Pets :: Advice :: Ask for Advice-
Jump to: